Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: It's the Internet Stupid

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 12:20:15 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: June 8, 2009 2:00:47 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] It's the Internet Stupid

At 05:20 AM 6/8/2009, David Isenberg wrote:

I've told Brett many times, and I'd like to say it again publicly,
that even though I favor, "prohibit[ing] discriminatory or preferential
treatment of packets based on sender, recipient or packet contents,"
I ALSO FAVOR AN EXEMPTION FOR SMALL ISPS. I don't know exactly where
"small" ends, but if the ISP is independent and serving its community
well, I wouldn't bind it to network neutrality rules so strict that
it would put the ISP out of business.

As I say, I've told Brett this many times, but he never seems to
remember.

There is a big difference between not remembering and disagreeing. I have told Mr. Isenberg, just as many times as he has proposed them, that "carve-outs" for small entities are not an acceptable solution for at least three reasons.

Firstly, the fact that one would immediately have to consider "carve outs" to avoid obviously bad consequences should set off alarm bells: it is a sign that the proposed regulation is fundamentally wrong in its approach and in principle. The simple fact is that networks NEED to be managed -- and, yes, that means the ability to recognize traffic and treat it appropriately. In other words, the network absolutely must "discriminate" -- in the non-pejorative sense of the term -- to work well. The Internet protocols were designed, from the very beginning, with provisions for quality of service and policy routing for this very reason.

Secondly, if one starts carving out specific exemptions, the law begins to look like Swiss cheese -- and is more and more subject to exceptions that favor large and powerful special interests rather than small operators.

Finally, the proposed regulation would be unable to adapt to rapidly changing or unforeseen circumstances -- and large entities with malign intent would be far more able to take advantage of this than small players.

The correct solution is to go back to first principles. No regulation is needed if we encourage robust, fair competition among providers of ALL sizes, so that the market can quickly and ably deal with any practice that consumers find undesirable (including ones not contemplated by the proposed regulation). The only government intervention that is needed at all is the prohibition of anticompetitive practices (which include - but are not limited to - price squeezing, price gouging in the "middle mile" by ILECs, and refusal to deal by backbone owners).

The onerous "network neutrality" regulation advocated by Mr. Isenberg isn't actually "neutral" at all. It favors one particular large corporation: Google. A key goal of this regulation is to prevent ISPs from adding value to bandwidth or to their network or from realizing a fair return on their hard work. Google is tirelessly lobbying, both directly and via a large number of surrogates in DC and elsewhere, to get such regulation instated by government bodies worldwide. (Its primary foci, at present, are the US, Canada, and the EU.)

For an excellent analysis that explains why Google is lavishing Googlebucks on many individuals and groups which advocate policies that would undermine both copyright owners and ISPs, see Andrew Orlowski’s articles at

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/15/neutrality_in_europe_analysis/print.html

and

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/01/google_wave/.

--Brett Glass