Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Nielsen and the Reply-to-All Conundrum

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 07:35:43 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joel M Snyder <Joel.Snyder () Opus1 COM>
Date: June 11, 2009 4:28:29 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>, jspira () basex com
Subject: Re: [IP] Nielsen and the Reply-to-All Conundrum

In Microsoft Exchange 2010 (now in beta testing), Microsoft has 'noticed' the problem and added MailTips (an analogy to ToolTips) to both the Outlook client and the webmail (Outlook Web Access) interface.

For example, when you add a distribution list to a recipient list in a message, MailTips will warn you if there are a large number of recipients you are sending to. You'll also get advice (at the moment you address a message) telling you if the recipient is out-of-office, if attachments are too large, etc.

In addition, MailTips has the option of letting the email manager define rules which could, for example, warn the sender if there are too many recipients.

While removing the function of the "Reply All" button is clearly one approach, it's nice to have a more education-based or feedback-based approach to both training users not to send to too many recipients, or that they might have, inadvertently, sent to a large number. After a couple of decades, we as an industry (and Microsoft as our biggest software vendor) are beginning to learn...

jms
(not a Microsoft shill, but a product reviewer who tested Exchange 2010 for Network World)

--
Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Senior Partner, Opus One       Phone: +1 520 324 0494