Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: American Broadband Market Works, Economists Say

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 16:55:00 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Stagg Newman <lsnewmanjr () yahoo com>
Date: June 16, 2009 3:35:47 PM EDT
To: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>, dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] American Broadband Market Works, Economists Say

From the Progress and Freedom Foundation web site (see below), we found their supporters include ATT, Verizon, Comcast, Time Warner Cable, and the National
Cable Television Association among others.

Supporters

of The Progress & Freedom Foundation include -

AT&T
CBS Corporation

Comcast Corporation

CompTIA

Cox Enterprises

DIRECTV

EMI Group

Entertainment Software Association

Intel Corporation

GoDaddy.com, Inc.

Google Inc.

Microsoft Corporation

National Cable & Telecommunications Association
NBC Universal

The News Corporation Limited

Oracle Corporation

Sony & BMG Music Entertainment, Inc.

Time Warner Inc.

Time Warner Cable

T-Mobile

VeriSign, Inc.

Verizon Communications

Viacom Inc.

Vivendi

The Walt Disney Company

AMERICAN BROADBAND MARKET WORKS, ECONOMISTS SAY
Reports of the death of American broadband have been greatly exaggerated, said a group of economists Friday at a panel on broadband market competition sponsored by the Progress and Freedom Foundation. Because American broadband was deregulated just five years ago, "competition is driving innovation," says Emperis managing partner Jeffrey Eisenach. But Information Technology and Innovative Foundation President Rob Atkinson said there is a difference between government "facilitation" of deregulation and actual deregulation on the broadband system. "I think we are behind, and I think it is a duopoly," he said. But Americans are "lucky to have two pipes" compared with many countries, he said. Introducing a municipal third pipe would be "overbuilding [and] a huge waste of money."

<http://broadbandcensus.com/2009/06/american-broadband-market-works-economists-say/ >

Courtesy of the Benton Foundation <http://www.benton.org>
RSS Feed: <http://www.warpspeed.com/wordpress>