Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Smuggling $134 billion in fake bonds

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 09:44:15 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Levine <johnl () iecc com>
Date: June 18, 2009 6:21:04 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Smuggling $134 billion in fake bonds

Bloomberg has broken the wall of mainline US news censorship of an
event like no other.

That's certainly true -- I haven't seen such credulous, irresponsible,
uninformed speculation in the mainstream media for, gosh, a couple of
days now.

Andrew Leonard in Salon has a much better article, which reports that
this isn't the first time someone's tried to peddle fake $500M
"Federal Reserve bonds":

http://www.salon.com/tech/htww/2009/06/15/mystery_bonds/index.html

Don't miss the Youtube video which shows some of the crudest looking
forgeries I've ever seen, with soothing background music by Brahms and
Debussy.

R's,
John