Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: This is getting out of hand (was: Congress' reaction to AIG bonuses ...)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 14:37:19 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Seth Finkelstein <sethf () sethf com>
Date: March 22, 2009 2:11:11 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>

From: Lauren Weinstein
That kind of emotionalism at this stage is more toxic and dangerous ...
I added an audio clip of that famous economist, Darth Vader, ...

        Ahem.

but I'd rather channel Spock than Darth any day.

        I believe Spock would quite calmly and rationally explain why
the supposed "contract" was not valid, and then advise AIG executives
that the logical course of action would be for them to make themselves
scarce. He was quite a rules-lawyer and thoroughly pragmatic in application.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/3253/regular/nimoy_spock_quotes_tos.html

Decker: "I told you I am in command here, and I will give the orders,
Captain. We are going to turn and attack."
Kirk: "Not with my ship you don't. Mr. Spock, relieve Commodore Decker
immediately. That's a direct order."
Decker: "You can't relieve me and you know it, according to regulations..."
Kirk: "Blast regulations! Mr. Spock, I order you to assume command on
my personal authority as Captain of the Enterprise."
Spock: "Commodore Decker, you are relieved of command."
Decker: "I don't recognize your authority to relieve me."
Spock: "You may file a formal protest with Starfleet command, assuming
we survive to reach a Starbase. But you are relieved."

--
Seth Finkelstein  Consulting Programmer  http://sethf.com
Infothought blog - http://sethf.com/infothought/blog/