Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Apple's iPhone Channels the Prudes -- "Pick a Little, Talk a Little!"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 09:29:02 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: May 23, 2009 7:58:40 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re: Apple's iPhone Channels the Prudes -- "Pick a Little, Talk a Little!"

This is another reason to avoid putting companies in the role of service providers if you can avoid it (and we can!). Even if the companies wanted to be conduits (and they don’t) they find themselves forced to be gatekeepers. Why do I need to promise my provider that I won’t do anything illegal (in whose judgment?) merely to communicate with my neighbors? In theory it’s just to avoid this kind of liability but in practice …

We also see this when we couple systems such as taxing cassette tapes to pay musicians (in Canada) by putting tapes on the entertainment silo as a matter of policy.