Interesting People mailing list archives

CA and celebrity med. record leaks...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 20:45:06 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Peter Swire <peter () peterswire net>
Date: May 18, 2009 2:32:06 PM EDT
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] CA and celebrity med. record leaks...

Hi Dave:

Perhaps of interest on the medical records, and the related "peeping" at Obama's passport records, Joe the Plumber's child-support records, and Obama's cellphone records:

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/institutes/bclt/security/media/Swire.pdf

That's the powerpoint version of my upcoming article on "peeping" -- the problem of authorized users who give into temptation (or greed) and look at records they shouldn't.

The law review version will be available, I hope, in a few weeks. Basically, we need better tech safeguards (role-based access, audit logs). Then, as in California, we may need breach notification laws or other measures so that people will trust that the file clerks aren't "peeping" at their records.

In terms of penalties, Peeping Tom was struck blind when he looked at Lady Godiva. Tiresias was also struck blind, when he saw the goddess Athena bathing. So the traditional penalty for this is blindness. That's a bit harsh, but it gives a sense of how seriously at least our mythological stories treat looking at things that shouldn't be looked at.

Peter

Prof. Peter P. Swire
C. William O'Neil Professor of Law
  Moritz College of Law
  The Ohio State University
Senior Fellow, Center for American Progress
(240) 994-4142, www.peterswire.net