Interesting People mailing list archives

What does an Internet Police State look like? The UK may show us!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 08:51:23 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

What does an Internet Police State look like?  The UK may show us!

http://bit.ly/8ZXmMl  (Boing Boing)

If I may paraphrase Pastor Martin Niemoller:

  First they tapped the telephones, and I did not speak out--because
  I rarely used the telephone.

  Then they demanded that we all carry hi-tech ID cards, and I did
  not speak out--because the cards seemed oh so very convenient.

  Then they installed video surveillance CCTV cameras everywhere, and
  I did not speak out--because they told us that the cameras would
  fight crime and terrorism.

  Then they took control of the Internet, and I did not speak
  out--because they said that entertainment industry profits and
  monitoring of our Internet activities were much more important than
  individual freedoms.

  And then they came for me--and there was no way left to
  speak out at all.

--Lauren--
NNSquad Moderator