Interesting People mailing list archives

MPAA: If We Don't Stop Piracy, The Internet Will Die

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 09:27:06 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Date: November 3, 2009 7:52:06 PM EST
To: Infowarrior List <infowarrior () attrition org>
Cc: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: MPAA: If We Don't Stop Piracy, The Internet Will Die

MPAA Tells The FCC: If We Don't Stop Piracy, The Internet Will Die
from the moral-panic dept
Never let it be said that the folks in Hollywood aren't good at coming up with a totally fictional horror story. I just have a problem when they use it not to entertain, but to create a moral panic to push the government to pass laws in their favor. In discussing the recent 60 Minutes piece that was really nothing more than an MPAA scare tactic, some suggested that it was really just a first step in the process of getting the government to make sure net neutrality rules had a special Hollywood exception. So, it's interesting to note that just before that 60 Minutes episode aired (and just before Halloween), the MPAA sent a "scary" filing to the FCC warning it how the US would always be a broadband laggard if it didn't stomp out piracy. The full filing (warning:pdf) claims, repeatedly, that piracy is sucking up all our bandwidth and getting rid of that would somehow make it cheaper to install faster internet connections.

(much more)

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091103/0434486780.shtml