Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Murdoch's Folly: Block Google & Kill Fair Use -- Plus a Nasty Truth

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 06:00:20 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Paul Levy" <plevy () citizen org>
Date: November 9, 2009 6:18:48 PM EST
To: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Murdoch's Folly: Block Google & Kill Fair Use -- Plus a Nasty Truth

I recently viewed this interview (I assume it is the same?) at
http://mumbrella.com.au/murdoch-well-probably-remove-our-sites-from-googles-index-11366

As I understood him, he was also complaining about taxpayer subsidized public broadcasting, and indeed privcate
broadcasters, whom he accused of stealin stories from his newspapers.  He seemed to be suggesting that he was going to
sue the broadcast media over this.

For me, I thought Murdoch was less than clear about whether he plans to block Google entirely or just implement Wall
Street Journal partial walls that make teaser content available outside the paid wall, with the rest of the content
requiring payment.

One other comment was revealing.  He acknowledged that when INternet viewers are referred by Google yes, they look, and
yes, they see the ads on that page, but we don't know who they are, and mre important they don't become loyal readers
of our newspaper, and that's what we really want.

Paul Alan Levy
Public Citizen Litigation Group
1600 - 20th Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20009
(202) 588-1000
http://www.citizen.org/litigation

Dave Farber <dave () farber net> 11/9/2009 6:02 PM >>>

Begin forwarded message: