Interesting People mailing list archives

Mission creep at TSA

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 11:41:04 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Steven J. Manning" <sjmanning () fymc com>
Date: November 10, 2009 11:07:33 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:    Mission creep at TSA

Good morning, Dave.
For IP if you wish.

You are on point. One mission cannot be substituted for another just because it appears to be more sophisticated or intelligent. A few hours of training in a discipline that is indeed very sophisticated, makes the "new" mission just "slick" to those working it.

The age-old, age-old remains. There is no substitute for good intelligence. Thus, a question to IP-ers in the know.

First, a question, digressing: do we not live in the era of ubiquitous information and the ability of hundreds of millions around the world to rapaciously search for it?

The answer to that first question is self-evident for all of us. The question for IP-ers in the know: how far along is the project to integrate all the various intelligence organizations' worldwide lists of people on terrorist watch? I would think that a heck of a start, when combined with all the technology that exists to "know" where those people are and/or to recognize them when they appear.

A couple million people in the world know - instantly - that Shaq O'Neil (terrific guy, by the way) just finished his oatmeal. Sufficient?

By the way, the reference to Israeli security at El Al checkins is as much about BEGINNING the security process than BEING the security process. The seemingly friendly questions those nice people ask the passengers in their interminably long lines are just the top lines on the information search. The follow ups, while the passenger is still in line and in the air is where the battle is won. Sometime ago, one of our lawyers was arrested upon landing in Tel Aviv. Appears that he owed the state two years of mandatory military service. He left Israel with his parents to live in the U.S., thus he did not serve.

He was 2 years old at the time.

Regards.

Steve.

David Farber wrote:

Sorry Herb, but assuming they are doing their primary job well, expanding their mission with the people they have will most likely affect their primary mission. Also I worry that giving other missions to people who seem to have search power without legal control will sacrifice our freedom

Dave

Begin forwarded message: