Interesting People mailing list archives

WORTH READING Access Controlled book reception censored -- at the UN's Internet Governance Forum event in Egypt

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 15:06:01 -0500

Ever wonder why I , and others, worry about the UNs attempt to be in the Internet game. djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jonathan Zittrain <zittrain () law harvard edu>
Date: November 15, 2009 2:35:43 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Fwd: Access Controlled book reception censored -- at the UN's Internet Governance Forum event in Egypt

Perhaps for IP.  Pretty extraordinary.  The sentence on the poster that warranted its destruction by UN security people
at the Internet Governance Forum:

"The first generation of Internet controls consisted largely of building firewalls at key Internet gateways; China's
famous 'Great Firewall of China' is one of the first national Internet filtering systems "

(n.b. I'm a co-editor of the book in question.)

From: John Palfrey <jpalfrey () cyber law harvard edu>

The first video clip below is astonishing.  Watch as UN Security forces remove the poster for our forthcoming ONI
book, called Access Controlled (MIT Press, 2010), from the room at the IGF conference center where our colleagues
were to hold a book reception:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-kxYt2LwKc>

<http://www.youtube.com/user/fikratube#p/a/u/0/axMpYddEomc>

<http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=F8ADF7C8-1A64-6A71-CE073A625C5A81C3>

John

Jonathan Zittrain
Professor of Law
Harvard Law School | Harvard Kennedy School of Government
Co-Founder, Berkman Center for Internet & Society
<http://cyber.law.harvard.edu>