Interesting People mailing list archives

Airport Security Cost The US the 2016 Olympics

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 13:02:10 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Carl Stork <carl () ciconiaco com>
Date: October 3, 2009 12:31:38 EDT
To: dave () farber net, 'ip' <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Airport Security Cost The US the 2016 Olympics

It wasn’t airport security. It is U.S. Customs & Immigration. It is difficult, expensive and unpleasant to get a visa to come to the Uni ted States, and even for so-called visa-waiver countries to we are a dding administrative hurdles and proposing new fees. Then once you t ravel to the U.S., the entry experience is unpleasant and disgracefu l. I have friends in Europe who choose not to visit the U.S. any mor e because they don’t want to deal with it. I am sure many IOC member s have had the unpleasant experience of entering the U.S.

A marketing campaign won’t fix this. Customs and Immigration doesn’t seem accountable to anyone for the awful experience it provi des, even to U.S. citizens and residents.