Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Comcast's "Evil Bot" Scanning Project (Lauren Weinstein)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 15:21:42 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Christopher S. Yoo" <csyoo () law upenn edu>
Date: October 12, 2009 14:49:00 EDT

If I may take the discussion in a slightly different direction, one aspect I find particularly striking about the current discussion is that its primary focus is over whether Comcast has been sufficiently transparent about its program. What is noticeably missing are statements that functions like curbing botnets should only be done by hosts. The existence of e-mail servers and content caches has long demonstrated the existence of functions that are more effectively provided within the network. There are arguments that security-based issues such as spam filtering and identity verification are better performed in the network, either because of scale economies, the need for enough traffic flow to recognize spam or malware, or lack of end user sophistication. Interestingly, as Marjory Blumenthal and David Clark have argued in a recent paper, security may well be better performed by non-host proxies when the host is already infected to the point where the end user cannot trust their own machine. A conversation that focuses on the costs and benefits of placing these functions in different locations and how best to implement them in terms of transparency and the ability to opt-out strikes me as more constructive than categorical assertions about where such functions should reside.

As the only lawyer participating in this discussion, I will note that I don’t see anything wrong with Comcast acting proactively to c urb a problem without waiting for law enforcement to step in. The law recognizes that it cannot control all antisocial behavior and th at even in areas in which it does attempt to intervene, enforcement is inherently imperfect and incomplete. Simply put, the law cannot catch all violations or deter all bad acts. As such, in contexts bo th related to the Internet and unrelated to the Internet, the law de pends on private actors to arrange their affairs to avoid most probl ems before they arise and to resolve most problems that do arise any way without the law having to step in. Any other solution would pla ce a greater burden on the legal system than it can possibly bear.