Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: 1983 and Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 09:22:12 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <bob2-39 () bobf frankston com>
Date: September 14, 2009 12:18:36 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: "Dave Crocker" <dcrocker () bbiw net>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re: 1983 and Internet

I remember trying to do my own email relaying. As I remember it UDel registered a proxy account for each user on the bridging host. I wanted to take a different approach and preserve the envelope information so that Multics could act as (what was later called) an MTA (Mail Transfer Agent). The initial assumption seemed to be that mail would go one hop from mainframe to mainframe so I couldn’t use a user account as a relay.

We never did solve that in SMTP -- as far as I know there was no protocol for representing the envelope information in-band. Instead relay hosts would just relay the out-of-band envelope which made it hard use passive mail stores (such as user mailboxes) as relays.

When POP was developed it didn't deal with envelope information -- it just relayed for a single user.

The MCI version also had problems with envelopes which made relaying problematic there too.