Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: FCC Storm Brewing Around "Traffic Pumping"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 02:05:58 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David Frankel" <dfrankel () zipdx com>
Date: September 28, 2009 1:03:53 AM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re: FCC Storm Brewing Around "Traffic Pumping"

Dave,

No doubt you’ve seen the firestorm launched Friday by AT&T’s letter to the FCC, complaining that GoogleVoice gets to discriminate in their call termination practices, while Ma Bell is not permitted to do so. And Google has responded (http://googlepublicpolicy.blogspot.com/2009/09/response-to-at-letter-to-fcc-on-google.html ), claiming that as a software application provider, Google shouldn’t be held to the same rules as a telecommunications carrier. So indeed, the debate rages on. (In my original note, I suggested that GoogleVoice also BENEFITS from certain access charges, and of course so does AT&T, because they are the provider of “local access” in much of the nation.)

Chris (below) has indeed been proven correct; the access charge arbitragers have been scheming for some time and they won’t stop until forced to do so. Chris is also correct that ultimately the system needs a complete overhaul. This will be complicated because there are perhaps a thousand “legitimate” parties to the access charge regime and it will be difficult to extricate them.

But there IS a relative “flash cut” fix for the bulk of the arbitrage problem. Access charges were intended to pay for “access” – the wires that are strung on poles down country roads to bring the farmers (and other end-users) onto the PSTN. Generally, the services in question here don’t involve legitimate “access” and shouldn’t trigger the collection of access charges. That was, generally, the finding of the Iowa Utilities Board in their ruling last week. The FCC just needs to (carefully) codify this at the interstate level.

The IRS has had great success with a somewhat analogous issue. They use the “doctrine of economic substance” to reign in frivolous and abusive tax schemes. If the only purpose for a particular financial endeavor is to evade taxes, and it provides no other economic benefit or financial risk, then there is no “economic substance” to it and it is not permitted. In addition to prohibiting access charges where there is, in fact, no end-user access, the FCC should also prohibit schemes that are concocted purely to generate or inflate access charges.

If the FCC implemented such a fix then this particular AT&T vs. Google issue would be moot.

Stan’s (also below) comments are “close but no cigar.” The “recip comp” charges he refers to are part of LOCAL traffic exchange agreements; in most of the cases here, we are talking about LONG DISTANCE traffic (intra- or inter-state) that falls under a distinct set of rules governed explicitly by “access tariffs.” As far as his idea for “least cost routing” to cap call termination rates – that won’t work on any kind of scale. The carriers that offer wholesale “flat rate” long distance termination always (to my knowledge) require in their Terms of Service that the traffic be “balanced.” A wholesale customer (like Google) can’t route ONLY the expensive calls to the “flat rate” carrier (where that carrier’s costs would exceed its selling price), and send the “cheap” calls to the “banded” provider. That’s simply not sustainable.

David

Begin forwarded message: