Interesting People mailing list archives

must read Apple's new iPhone/iPad OS 4 developer's agreement

From: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 20:19:01 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <shap () eros-os org>
Date: April 9, 2010 6:47:33 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Apple's new iPhone/iPad OS 4 developer's agreement

[For IP]

The bit about "no downloadable code" has been in place for a long
time. Apple is taking a very clear position that the iPhone/iPad are
neither open nor general devices. What these terms mainly show is that
Apple lacks the core OS technology needed to construct a defensible
platform. In the absence of that technology, a case can be made that
the process of audit that Apple has put into place is desirable.

The bit that actually concerns me here is the requirement about
"original source language" being C, C++, or Objective C. All three of
these development languages are unsafe, and Apple is actually going so
far as to *prohibit* (by exclusion) the use of more modern, safe,
programming language technology. Why should languages like Ada, Java,
C#, Scheme, O'Caml, or Haskell, any of which are dramatically more
reliable than the languages listed, be prohibited? Apple doesn't
market compilers for those other languages, so one speculation is that
this is about extracting revenue from developers.

In an era when computer vulnerabilities are such a serious threat,
proscribing the use of safe languages is not merely passive
negligence. By imposing these terms, Apple *prevents* third-party
software developers from acting according to the current state of the
practice in secure software construction.

It does, at least, suggest a great defense for the iPhone/iPad
software developer: "I wanted to implement a more secure application,
but I couldn't, because Apple's development and distribution terms
prohibited that. Don't sue me, sue Apple." Worse, the Apple policy
justifies the software developer in failing to invest in modern, safer
language technology: when a major platform doesn't accept safer
languages, development cost considerations tend to prevent the
adoption of those languages elsewhere as well.

Anybody who thinks that Apple platforms are secure simply doesn't
understand what's going on technically. Based on their behavior,
neither does Apple.

Jonathan