Interesting People mailing list archives

Maker Faire Taps Into Detroit's Sense of Mission, History as City of Tinkerers and, Yes, Entrepreneurs

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 07:31:33 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne () warpspeed com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: August 1, 2010 7:27:05 AM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Maker Faire Taps Into Detroit's Sense of Mission, History as City of Tinkerers and, Yes,
Entrepreneurs

Maker Faire Taps Into Detroit’s Sense of Mission, History as City of Tinkerers and, Yes, Entrepreneurs
Howard Lovy 7/29/10
<http://www.xconomy.com/detroit/2010/07/29/maker-faire-taps-into-detroit's-sense-of-mission-history-as-city-of-tinkerers-and-yes-entrepreneurs//>

The spark of innovation can often be found in outrage—outrage that the world, or some part of it, does not yet contain
something that has yet to be invented or brought to it. And James Peyer, University of Michigan stem cell biology Ph.D.
student, part-time do-it-yourself entrepreneur, and participant in this weekend’s Detroit Maker Faire, is outraged.

Here’s why: When he was an undergraduate at the University of Chicago, his younger brother was taking advanced high
school biology courses. “I was appalled by the tremendously low quality of exposure to real science that high-schoolers
were getting,” Peyer says. “They didn’t actually learn anything about how research was done, how science was actually
done, and how we learn new things, and how we innovate and invent using science.”

That was outrage No. 1. Here’s outrage No. 2: An important tool scientists use in biotechnology is a PCR machine, or
thermal cycler, to manipulate and replicate DNA. But even the smallest and cheapest PCR machine is $2,000—beyond the
means of most high school science departments. The machines, themselves, are really simple—an aluminum block that heats
up and cools down to rip apart DNA. Still, universities with big budgets or third-party funding agencies are already
configured for PCR machines to cost anywhere from $2,000 to $8,000, so that is how much they cost for everybody.

“When we’re paying a couple hundred bucks for something like an iPhone, I feel like an aluminum block that heats up and
cools down should not be $2,000,” Peyer says.

So, Peyer is doing something about it, to try and fill a void in the world to placate his outrage. His company, Otyp,
is creating a simple kit for high-school science classes, a kind of “Hello, World” tutorial program for biotechnology
that teaches high-schoolers the basics of manipulating DNA. Without getting too detailed on the technology, the
experiment lets students clone a fluorescent gene and paint it out on a petri dish in whatever pattern they want. Otyp
is also creating an inexpensive, open source version of a PCR machine that local school districts can actually afford.

[snip]RSS Feed: <http://www.warpspeed.com/wordpress>