Interesting People mailing list archives

AT&T forcing data plan changes

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 13:40:43 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak () dimebank com>
Date: February 8, 2010 1:01:26 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: AT&T forcing data plan changes

Dave, for IP if you wish:

Last Saturday morning, I was awakened early by an SMS to my phone. It was from AT&T Wireless, saying "Did you know a data plan is required for your Smartphone? Call 611 for details."

This was shortly followed by another: "Your Smartphone requires a data plan. For convenience, we have added a minimum plan to your phone. Call 611 4 info."

I found this quite puzzling, since I already had an unlimited data plan on my account, and have for quite some time, since I first got a Cingular 5125 "smartphone" - I've been using wireless data for about 5 years, and had slowly moved up from a 5MB/month plan to unlimited.

I didn't call 611, but instead went my account page at the AT&T Wireless website. When I looked at my feature list, I saw that they had moved me from my pre-existing $15/month unlimited data plan to the $30/month "Smartphone personal" unlimited data plan ... and that the $15/month plan is still highlighted as "recommended". (I tried switching back to the $15/month plan, but received the same set of text messages again in under an hour.)

The light began to dawn. For the past month or so, I've been borrowing a Nexus One to see what it's like. I simply inserted my AT&T SIM into the phone and started using it. I am probably using more data than I used to, but 'unlimited' seems like it should have covered this?

Apparently AT&T is doing some sort of inspection of the data stream. Their latest terms of service say

If it is determined that you are using an iPhone or other designated smartphone without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate
   monthly fee.

Hmm. And just how are they determining this, I have to wonder?

Chris Kantarjiev
Palo Alto, CA