Interesting People mailing list archives

re Yale switching to Google Apps / Gmail

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 15:22:00 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Malin, Bradley A" <b.malin () Vanderbilt Edu>
Date: February 10, 2010 2:46:17 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, adikamdar () gmail com
Subject: RE: [IP] Yale switching to Google Apps / Gmail

Actually, Vanderbilt did this last year:

https://jprod.its.vanderbilt.edu/apps1/vugmail/

The FAQ regarding Vanderbilt’s switch can be found here:

http://its.vanderbilt.edu/gmail/faq

Amazingly, there is no specific privacy policy in place for the relationship between the university and Google.

However, I’ll note that the university only did this for the undergr aduate body. The graduate students, faculty, and staff on the other hand are not being offered this service because:

“Our immediate focus is to provide access to Gmail accounts for our undergraduates. The scope of the service offering may be reassessed as appropriate in the future.”

I understand that they want to take advantage of google’s infrastruc ture, but what worries me (and I’m speaking here without seeing the contract between the university and Google) is that the university m ay not be able to protect / act on behalf of the students – especial ly with respect to subpoenas.

-brad