Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Stop the panic on air security - err, no, irradiate it

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 17:44:47 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: January 14, 2010 5:41:24 PM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Stop the panic on air security - err, no, irradiate it

Dave,

It should be noted though that this assumes *properly calibrated,
maintained, and operated* equipment. Baggage X-ray scanners around the
world have been found to vary vastly in their radiation doses beyond
the official specs.

Recently, *major* hospitals here in L.A. (and apparently elsewhere)
were discovered to be grossly overdosing patients receiving certain
types of CAT scans (I believe involving more than one type of scanner
and in circumstances that were not discovered for many months) due to
programming and operational errors.

Even though these were relatively clean and orderly facilities (compare
with most airport security lines!) these were not trivial overdoses --
they weren't discovered until patients reported burns and hair loss --
and longer term effects are unknown at this time.

So when we're told how teensy-weensy-don't-worry-about-it the doses
are from body scanners that aren't even going to stop determined
terrorists anyway, adding in a fair dose (no pun intended) of
skeptical salt regarding what happens in the real world with these
devices would seem wise.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
  - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, NNSquad
  - Network Neutrality Squad - http://www.nnsquad.org
Founder, GCTIP - Global Coalition
  for Transparent Internet Performance - http://www.gctip.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com

- - -