Interesting People mailing list archives

Verizon Wireless requires a data plan on most phones now - no parental control available

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:58:26 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: William Arbaugh <waa () cs umd edu>
Date: January 20, 2010 4:52:43 PM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: For IP - Verizon Wireless requires a data plan on most phones now - no parental control available

We promised my daughter a new cell phone for her birthday. She picked the Envy 2. When we purchased the same phone for her older brother, it came with a $10/mo data plan. But, we were able to cancel it immediately. Turns out, as of Nov 19th 2009, the vast majority of Verizon phones MUST have a minimum of a $10/mo data plan. You cannot cancel.

The basic plan provides only 25MB. Additional MB's are $1.99. I asked the salesman (and later the 800 number) how I could control her data usage so as not to exceed the 25MB/mo and incur large charges unexpectedly. I was told my only option was to buy her an unlimited plan for $30/mo. None of the data plans allow any parental control on how my daughter utilizes the Internet. Turns out the only control option available costs $5/mo. This option will only allow me to set the time of day that she can use the phone. In other words, I can turn off texting, calls (except emergency and a trusted list), and data. But, I can't control individual services nor do I have any parental control over the use of the Internet.

Given that Verizon has now made data plans mandatory for the majority of their phones, more and more children are going to have unfettered Internet access in their hands (unsupervised). While I trust my children, I still worry they will unknowingly run up the data costs or find the more colorful corners of the Internet. Is there anything that we can do to protect our children in this situation besides the obvious of saying no to a phone?