Interesting People mailing list archives

READ POTS Reliability - Reality

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 13:27:42 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Josephson <dlj () josephson com>
Date: January 2, 2010 12:30:43 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] POTS Reliability - Reality

Dave,

The carriers are doing a great job shifting focus to a fiber vs copper, or VoIP vs analog loop debate. I think the real issue is whether the public and regulators will accept a further reduction of responsibility for failures. It's reasonable to require the customer to provide a standard telephone instrument -- spares are cheap and easily fixed -- but now we are asked to provide power and to replace the backup battery. Is that OK? Are we going back to farmers' lines with local dry cell batteries?

Yes, remote terminals (whether they are fiber or copper) with just eight hours of backup are a weak link, but the wireline carriers here have typically been able to respond with a small generator when a power outage exceeds battery capacity, just as a central office generator is expected to take over if downtown is dark.

The issue is not which technology is in use, the issue is whether the carrier is permitted to dump the responsibility for outages on the subscriber.

--
David Josephson