Interesting People mailing list archives

re Google asks FCC to appoint it a "white space" database admin

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 19:35:00 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Josephson <dlj () josephson com>
Date: January 6, 2010 7:20:36 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] re Google asks FCC to appoint it a "white space" database admin

Dave,

Having watched the "white space" proceedings as a microphone manufacturer (although we don't make wireless mics) and chair of the Audio Engineering Society standards working group on microphones, it has amazed me that such a complex proposal actually got approved. Frankston's and Weinstein's concerns are well taken. A more likely scenario is that since the whitespace rules are so restrictive, no one will deploy devices that even claim to be compliant with them. I know of no device that has been approved by the FCC for production to date. It's almost as if the broadcasters and wireless carriers wanted to be sure there would be no one using this spectrum legally.

I see nothing wrong with having Google be a whitespace database admin, though, assuming that devices can actually be made that comply with the rules. Being a big target for adverse PR is probably a stronger incentive for them to behave fairly than anything that could be devised to keep a smaller organization honest. Also, the FCC requirements for the database pretty much ensure that it's demonstrated to afford equal access. The actual operation of the whitespace database has not yet been defined, so the jury is still out with regard to how it can be operated fairly.

The concern of *who* operates the database is less important than *how* it operates -- and I've seen little coverage of that. Perhaps Google and their cohorts in the "White Spaces Database Working Group" will be forthcoming on that point. It's not going anywhere until someone reduces it to workable practice.

--
David Josephson