Interesting People mailing list archives

re ] Reports of Google Nexus One 3G and Support Problems

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 10:56:55 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak () dimebank com>
Date: January 9, 2010 10:37:01 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] re ] Reports of Google Nexus One 3G and Support Problems

Dave, for IP if you wish:

Google is certainly aiming the Nexus One to be a "Google experience" phone,
which means that they would like you to use all their services for
mail, calendar, contacts. But there are other apps on the way. They include
a basic IMAP/POP client with the phone, but it's not really suitable
for serious use. K9mail is a free app in the Android market that works
well with IMAP, but still has a few issues that are being worked out.

Sync of calendar and contacts without putting them into Google's cloud
are a big issue for me, and today there is no good answer. "The Missing
Sync" has promise - their 1.0 version will sync contacts to
Outlook, Address Book or Entourage, and 2.0 is promised to do the
same for calendars, tasks and notes.

For the time being, I continue to carry my creaky Palm for contacts
and calendar (DateBk is my choice on that platform). I look forward
to the day when that is no longer necessary.

Best,
chris