Interesting People mailing list archives

Goldman caught front-running

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 13:59:49 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Date: January 12, 2010 1:56:42 PM EST
To: Infowarrior List <infowarrior () attrition org>
Cc: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Goldman caught front-running

(Yet another reason why analysis/calls/'recommendations' from brokers should be avoided for serious trading. If you want to read 'analysis' from brokers - which is always helpful food for thought - ask to see their advice to "institutional" investors instead....and don't be surprised if they are telling institutions to sell something while telling retail investors to buy the same thing. For more info, check out McClellan's "Full of Bull" from Amazon. -rick)

Goldman Acknowledges Conflicts With Clients
January 12, 2010, 11:30 am
http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/12/goldman-executive-discloses-conflicts-policy/?
A senior Goldman Sachs executive sent an e-mail message to clients on Tuesday disclosing that the firm’s Fundamental Strategies Group m ight have shared investment ideas with the firm’s proprietary tradin g group or some clients before sharing them with others.

The e-mail message, obtained by DealBook, demonstrates the various conflicts that Goldman and other firms face in balancing the interests of its various clients and its own trading operation. (Read it after the jump.)

“We may trade, and may have existing positions, based on trading ide as before we have discussed those trading ideas with you,” Thomas Ma zarakis, head of Goldman’s Fundamental Strategies Group, wrote.

The message was meant to clarify the firm’s conflict-of-interest pol icy. Goldman and other firms have come under criticism for trading a head of, or at odds, with its own clients. In one such situation, ra ised in my column on Tuesday, Goldman created and sold bundles of mo rtgages known as collateralized debt obligations while at the same t ime selling them short.

Lucas Van Praag, a Goldman spokesman, declined to comment.

< - >

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/12/goldman-executive-discloses-conflicts-policy/