Interesting People mailing list archives

re Engineer Claims Consumer Reports iPhone 4 Reception Problem Study Is Flawed - iPhone Hacks

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 04:29:55 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Josephson <dlj04 () josephson com>
Date: July 15, 2010 1:44:23 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] re  Engineer Claims Consumer Reports iPhone 4 Reception Problem Study Is Flawed - iPhone Hacks

Dave,

There are a number of red herrings and men behind the curtain in this discussion of the iPhone antenna and the
Consumers Reports tests.

First, Consumers Reports' anechoic chamber seems to be acoustically anechoic, intended for testing sound (speakers,
vacuum cleaners etc.) While they might look similar to electromagnetic anechoic chambers, they aren't at all the same
(we make microphones, we have an acoustic one, and we rent time in an electromagnetic one when we want to test RF)
and it's highly unlikely that one would magically be useful both for sound and RF. There are well established tests
for determining the effectiveness of anechoic chambers for sound and RF, and I have not seen one that does both.

One of the primary design goals in making a wireless handset is the reduction of reported specific absorption rate
(SAR), or the RF radiation to which a user is theoretically exposed while using it. To put it politely, SAR testing
as mandated by FCC (and as reported on FCC OET's own web page) is flawed in that the handset is strapped to a model
head without a hand being in place to hold it there. The presence of a hand significantly impacts the radiated power
of the phone. It is only a guess, but I would guess that if there is in fact lower than optimal transmitted power, it
might be due to design decisions intended to reduce SAR. Cell phone radiation as a health risk remains an open
question (there seems to be no dose-response relationship at the levels experienced by cell phone users) but this
doesn't prevent people from assuming that lower SAR is better, and therefore pressuring handset makers to produce
devices that transmit less power toward the head -- as measured by a test that doesn't include a hand holding the
device.

--
David Josephson
Josephson Engineering