Interesting People mailing list archives

Resolution of my ATT MicroCell issues-- resend

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:52:57 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jonathan P Gill <jock.gill () gmail com>
Date: July 28, 2010 9:14:46 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Jonathan P Gill <jock.gill () gmail com>
Subject: Resolution of my ATT MicroCell issues

Dave,

IP readers might like to know that my MicroCell is now working very well in rural VT in a location that is 15 miles
from the nearest tower.

Getting to this happy result took some time and was made more interesting as:

1. The first MicroCell apparently failed within days of purchase.  ATT replaced it promptly.  No questions asked.

I had tested this unit plugged directly into the cable modem and my wireless access point and it did not work.  This
mis-led me into generalizing this result.  Wrong.  My bad.

2. ATT uses USPS maps to verify your location.  My location is not on USPS maps, but is on 911 maps and can be found
via Google.  Apparently, ATT has to hand edit their database to add in locations not covered by the USPS service maps.
Getting this resolved was an important step.

3. Out of frustration, I decided to make a simple test:  Disconnect everything from the cable modem.  Then reconnect
ONLY the MicroCell. directly to the modem. Powered up the modem, waited, powered up the MicroCell.  Bingo.  Worked
perfectly in under 10 minutes.  I have suggested that ATT make this a basic test in their trouble shooting.

4. Plugged my ancient D-Link wireless access point into the MicroCell -- while the MicroCell was running.  Worked great.

Take aways:

1. ATT might want to integrate 911 maps with USPS maps.  I was the second person in one week in Peacham to have the
"your house does not exist problem" with ATT while trying to install a MicroCell.

2. Older access points may not play nice with the MicroCell if they are between the MicroCell and the modem.  They
should be taken out of the system entirely until the MicroCell is working properly.  Yet another example of the power
of the KISS principal.

Now to see if the MicroCell works better placed in a central, but windowless, location on the second floor.  Dewayne
thinks both the WiFi and the MicroCell should offer better coverage if located higher up.  For this to work, however:
1] the antenna for the MicroCell will have to find the GPS and 2] the MicroCell will have to integrate with a couple of
Plaster Network units.  IF this all works, I will replace the D-Link with an Apple access point.  Note:  it would be
good if ATT sold an antenna for the MicroCell.  I ordered a ""Gilsson Universal Amplified GPS Antenna with 4 Adapters"
from Amazon.

And the play goes on ...

All in all, I am now a wiser and happy camper.

Cheers,

Jock

Jock Gill
Pellet Futures / Biochar