Interesting People mailing list archives

Hopping mad .. Apple/ATT blows it again and again and again and again and etc

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 12:24:03 -0400

I agree completely with Lauren.  djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: June 15, 2010 12:18:28 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Hopping mad .. Apple/ATT blows it again and again and again and again and etc

Dave,

While Norman's call for patience is laudable, I believe it misses the
point.  When firms of Apple's and AT&T's scale deploy an ordering
system for a product that will obviously have high demand, heavy
publicity, and is important to both companies' bottom lines, common
sense alone dictates that the ordering system be engineered to be as
smooth as possible, especially when (as in AT&T's case) the spotlight
is already on previous infrastructure lapses and limitations.

While no order system can handle infinite orders at the same time, and
no system is perfect, the design requirements to handle extremely
large online and telephone-based ordering loads (think of responses to
highly visible national TV ads during sports events, etc.) are quite
well understood.

Of course, if companies choose to cut corners in their ordering system
deployments, on the assumption that customers want their products so
very badly that they'll put up with any level of Kafkaesque ordering
hoops and errors, then that's another matter entirely.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
  - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, NNSquad
  - Network Neutrality Squad - http://www.nnsquad.org
Founder, GCTIP - Global Coalition
  for Transparent Internet Performance - http://www.gctip.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com

- - -