Interesting People mailing list archives

"Victory for WikiLeaks in Iceland's Parliament"

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 12:53:13 -0400

Reply to. dave () farber net

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gabe Goldberg <gabe () gabegold com>
Date: June 17, 2010 11:51:02 AM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: "Victory for WikiLeaks in Iceland's Parliament"

"Victory for WikiLeaks in Iceland's Parliament"
By ROBERT MACKEY

At 4 a.m. on Thursday, Iceland's Parliament, the Althing, voted unanimously in favor of a package of legislation
aimed at making the country a haven for freedom of expression by offering legal protection to whistle-blower Web
sites like WikiLeaks, which helped to craft the proposal.

As the Web site Ice News reports, "One of the inspirations for the proposal was the dramatic August 2009 gagging of
of Iceland's national broadcaster, RUV by Iceland's then largest bank, Kaupthing."

One of the sponsors of the proposal in the Althing, Birgitta Jonsdottir, told my colleague Noam Cohen in February
that Iceland hoped to become "the inverse of a tax haven," by offering journalists and publishers some of the most
aggressive protections for free speech and investigative journalism in the world. "They are trying to make everything
opaque," she said. "We are trying to make it transparent."

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/victory-for-wikileaks-in-icelands-parliament/?hp