Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: 3G-Ready Nexus One Now Available Unlocked on AT&T - Google - Gizmodo

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:33:56 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: March 17, 2010 9:21:38 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: 3G-Ready Nexus One Now Available Unlocked on AT&T - Google - Gizmodo

Are we sure it is just a firmware change? The FCC licenses devices for specific frequencies.  Perhaps one needs to buy
a device that comes with a different FCC license, associated with a different model number?  It's even possible that
the new NexusOne needs a different internal antenna, but I actually doubt that.

In any case, firmware changes are against the law in the US, because of the way spectrum licenses work.

(I personally devoted a lot of time to trying to change that part of the law, but given how many years it took to get
UWB legal - more than a decade - the ability to have any end-user-software-defined wideband-capable devices licensed to
transmit in the US will probably take decades.  The spectrum "ownership" cabal will fight it tooth and nail.).