Interesting People mailing list archives

WORTH READING Apple's Spat With Google Is Getting Personal

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:52:06 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Newmedia () aol com
Date: March 17, 2010 9:38:59 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject:  Apple's Spat With Google Is Getting Personal

Jim:

Sorry that you completely misread my Gartner report.  What I said is that Apple should STAY in the hardware business
and WORK with Dell in order to expand its PC market share to 10% or greater.  In particular, I suggested that Apple use
Dell to sell and support Macs in enterprises and, in the extreme case, allow Dell to build Macs under a well supervised
licensing arrangement.

The report was based on what I believe is good evidence that Jobs met with Michael Dell in mid-2006 and that they
negotiated a series of optional business arrangements, to be exercised at Apple's choice based on how well the upgrade
to Intel-based Macs progressed.  Following these discussions, Dell took on Mac support responsibilities for around 200
corporate accounts but that seems to be the extent of the relationship to date.

I offered this as fundamental analysis about Apple's PC market position and I still stand by it -- not as a stock-tip.
As you might not know, Gartner isn't a broker-dealer and, as a Gartner analyst, I never gave stock advice.  I did
however get voted Jackass-of-the-week by the "fan-boys" who also couldn't read the report. <g>

That said, Apple's stock is where it is because of the iPhone/iPod/iTunes, not the Mac.  Apple has operated internally
as two "independent" companies for many years and my view has consistently been positive about the iPhone company and,
therefore, about AAPL.

Best,

Mark Stahlman
New York City