Interesting People mailing list archives

re: What will FTP Bloggers do after May 1?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:05:28 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joe Crawford <joe () artlung com>
Date: March 26, 2010 4:50:18 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, kgbarkes () yahoo com
Subject: Re: [IP] What will FTP Bloggers do after May 1?

Hi Dave, Kevin --

I've done a few migrations for people who were in this situation. As a
WordPress developer I'm using WordPress, though there are ways to
create xml documents importable into other blogging platforms out
there. Here's my recipe. I've gotten pretty good feedback on it,
though with a larger blog, a huge migration like this does take a lot
of work. Lots of gotchas: dealing old content, anchors, differences in
how pages are named, labels vs. tags, redirecting archives and feeds,
accounting for images and different paths for images.

http://artlung.com/blog/2010/03/02/migrating-an-old-blogger-blog-to-wordpress/

Google/Blogger does provide a migration path:
http://blogger-ftp.blogspot.com/2010/03/ftp-migration-tool-released.html

Though it does not handle things like images.
http://artlung.com/blog/2010/03/04/blogger-ftp-migration-tool-does-not-account-for-your-images/

Regards,

Joe Crawford
http://artlung.com/