Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The day apple and amazon hate holden caulfield

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:37:10 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tor Fosheim <tfosheim () gmail com>
Date: March 12, 2010 9:44:13 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: The day apple and amazon hate holden caulfield

If I may;

We are seeing the classic development of shut doors, walled gardens and market controls that also exist in the
publishing of printed books; whomever controls the printing press, also controls what can be printed -- and nowadays,
this printing press i rapidly turning digital, and the printing press is turning into the distribution process.

The general idea of digital printing, is that this removes the classic barriers to entry (no need for printing presses,
very low investment etc etc) -- but presents hurdles with distribution and marketing -- as already seen in the music
business.

You would like to put your book in front of as many eyeballs as you can and everybody seems to be racing to create the
one go-to place for just that.

The best solution is of course free of DRM; and some sort of community publishing store, that i would hope someone can
create for a nominal fee, without censorship or market control -- and you can just publish text files, for that matter!

The tools are there; it is the traditional marketing-thinkin that seems to be ruining it all for us.

I might also add that according the Copyright act of 1976 (before the Sonny Bono extension) (ref @
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Act_of_1976 ) ,The Catcher in the Rye would have been exempt by now, and would
have been available through the Gutenberg Archive et cetera et al and so on.

Wich I had more time to write something a little more sensible about the development of the digital book market and the
historical controls of the printing press, economical preconditions and the like -- but i dont.

Alle best from not-so snowy Oslo :)

Tor