Interesting People mailing list archives

"Clean-Slate Design of Resilient, Adaptive, Secure Hosts (CRASH)"

From: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 15:23:18 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ross Stapleton-Gray <ross () stapleton-gray com>
Date: May 28, 2010 2:53:16 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: "Clean-Slate Design of Resilient, Adaptive, Secure Hosts (CRASH)"

A new DARPA cyber security program:
https://www.fbo.gov/spg/ODA/DARPA/CMO/DARPA-SN-10-49/listing.html

But more than the announcement of a proposer's day itself, I wanted to flag the timeline: this was posted yesterday,
with a deadline of next Tuesday to register for a proposer's day event to be held next Friday.

But WTF, my government friends?  A week's notice of an event to be held in DC?  This can only favor "the usual
suspects," and disadvantage any small, non-local innovator who can't incur the cost of last-minute travel.

Having tracked the cyber security R&D grant market for some years, it's rare that announcements appear much in
advance of the mandatory minimum deadline for notice.  I appreciate those program managers who provide quick
turnaround on white papers and proposals, but I'll bet the conference center was booked some weeks ago, and the
actual prospective contributors to the prospective effort could have gotten a little more lead time than they're
getting...

Ross