Interesting People mailing list archives

re US: Hollywood can disable TV set features

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 21:03:17 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Michael Painter <tvhawaii () gmail com>
Date: May 7, 2010 9:00:49 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] US: Hollywood can disable TV set features

>>“This action is an important victory for consumers who will now ha ve far greater access to see recent high-definition movies in their homes,” Bob Pisano, president and interim chief executive officer of the MPAA, said today in a statement.<<

And I see it as a slap-in-the-face and a middle finger to consumers as it's de facto instant obsolescence for the multi-millions of dollars worth of displays, switchers, sources, etc. presently being used for High Definition viewing and not using HDMI (or without that capability). Two years ago I installed a $14,000 16x16 matrix component switcher at a 'SportsBar"because it was the -only- method available to deliver HD at the distances required (multiple displays 75-125 ft. from source) and now that system will only deliver 480p, distribution of which could have been accomplished for $2000.

>>The Motion Picture Association of America asked the FCC in 2008 for a waiver from rules against disabling video outputs so that its members could send movies over cable and satellite services using “s ecure and protected digital outputs,” according to the trade group’s petition at the agency.<<

Trouble is, there is -lots- more content delivered by those services than just Hollywood's movies and now the Set-Top-Box will only output 480p on analog for that content as well.

IMO, this is another indication that if you're a big money corporate lobbyist, you can get the ear of the FCC. Stuff like this, along with Hundt's admission that he tried to 'sabotage' Broadcast HD, tells me what the FCC thinks about the "consumer".

--Michael