Interesting People mailing list archives

'Secret' telecom anti-Net neutrality plan isn't | Politics and Law - CNET News

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 13:17:34 -0400

Yesterday I got sent the PPT and I held it out of IP since it had a VERY fishy order. Seems my nose was accurate  djf

May 12, 2010 9:30 AM PDT
'Secret' telecom anti-Net neutrality plan isn't

by Declan McCullagh

The Center for American Progress seemed to have blockbuster news on Tuesday: an expose titled "Telecoms' Secret Plan To
Attack Net Neutrality."

On its Think Progress blog, the liberal advocacy group announced it had "obtained" a PowerPoint document "which reveals
how the telecom industry is orchestrating the latest campaign against Net neutrality" through a pseudo-grassroots
effort. The story was echoed on Slashdot, Boing Boing, and innumerable pro-regulation blogs.

There's just one problem with Think Progress' claim: It's not, well, accurate.

In a case of truth being stranger than astroturf, it turns out that the PowerPoint document was prepared as a class
project for a competition in Florida last month. It cost the six students a grand total of $173.95, including $18 for
clip art.

The "No Net Brutality" campaign idea was one of the four finalists created as an assignment for a two-and-a-half week
"think tank MBA" program. The other finalists were a project promoting free speech in Venezuela, one supporting
education reform in Poland, and one dealing with sales taxes rates in Washington, D.C. ("No Net Brutality" came in
third. The Polish reform idea won.)

Not only was the PowerPoint document presentation no secret, but it was posted publicly on the competition's blog,
along with an audio recording of the event in Miami where the student contestants presented their ideas to the judges.

The competition was organized by the Atlas Economic Research Foundation, a nonprofit, free-market group that spends
millions of dollars a year supporting regional think tanks in other countries, especially those where the rule of law
or protection of individual rights may be impaired. Some examples include the Imani Center for Policy and Education in
Ghana, the Fundacion Global in Argentina, and the Cathay Institute for Public Affairs in China.

"The Think Progress article is hilarious," David MacLean, the Canadian member of the six-person student team from four
different continents, told CNET on Wednesday. "We've had a really good laugh in the last day over this. This is one of
the funniest things I've ever seen."

MacLean added: "It was a class project done at the Atlas think tank MBA program. We came up with the concept in a few
days." Part of Atlas' curriculum on how to manage think tanks required creating the campaign on a $100 budget and "the
goal was to make it launch," said MacLean, who lives in Alberta.

Neither Lee Fang, the author of the Think Progress article, or a spokesman for the Center for American Progress
responded to repeated requests for comment.

Kristin McMurray, the American member of the team, said: "We have not had any contact with any telecom company during
this campaign. The only funding we received was the $100 given to us by Atlas." The campaign actually ended up costing
the students money, since they chipped in some of their own cash, said McMurray, an editor at the Sunshine Review, a
nonpartisan organization that pushes state and local governments to post more information online.

A post that appeared late Tuesday on the NoNetBrutality.com Web site says: "I'm sorry to dash all the conspiracy
theorists hopes and dreams, but No Net Brutality is a bonafide concerned citizens initiative." The post said that the
contestants spent all of $173.95 on the idea, including printing and $20 to register the .com and .org domain names.

The origin of "Net Brutality"
To brainstorm ideas and create proof of concept campaigns, the students attending the Atlas program split into multiple
teams. Besides McMurray and MacLean, the other students assigned to the group that came up with the "NetBrutality" idea
were Yolanda Talavera (Nicaragua), Vincent De Roeck (Belgium), Huafang Li (China) and Aykhan Nasibli (Azerbaidjan).
Talavera's name appears in the PowerPoint document as its creator.

Their PowerPoint presentation sketches out suggestions for how to rally opposition to the Federal Communications
Commission's move to regulate how broadband providers are allowed to manage their network.

Many conservatives and libertarians oppose the idea, arguing that the Internet has flourished precisely because it has
been unregulated. FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski has said that new rules--the agency's previous attempt was tossed out
by a federal appeals court earlier this year--are necessary to stop discriminatory activities by Internet providers.

The presentation shown at the Miami conference says: "Our agenda is to stop the government from taking over the
Internet" by making the public aware of the "negative effects of this proposal." The students suggested targeting video
game users and other potential allies through a Twitter account, a Facebook page, and a blog written in Chinese.

Because De Roeck, who runs a student group in Belgium, had a previous invitation to show up at a weekly meeting of
conservatives convened by Americans for Tax Reform, he used his three minutes of allotted time as an opportunity to
distribute a flyer about their "NetBrutality" idea. The Atlas students thought "maybe that would give us an edge over
the competition," McLean said.

The concept of large corporations spreading their money around Washington to push for or block new laws is, of course,
nothing new in political circles. A 2008 CNET article revealed how a secretive lobbying organization in Washington,
D.C., called the LawMedia Group--hired by Comcast--did some or all of the writing for an anti-Net neutrality op-ed. An
anti-Google campaign of dubious provenance that enlisted groups such as the American Corn Growers Association and the
League of Rural Voters also was linked to LMG.

And it is an article of faith among broadband providers that Silicon Valley companies give millions to groups that
support extensive Net neutrality regulations. Free Press redacts the source of over $3 million in contributions from
pages 16 and 17 of its financial disclosure statement, and Google, eBay, and Amazon.com give money to Public Knowledge.

"There are genuine concerns with how the network is managed," said Jim Harper, director of information policy studies
at the free-market Cato Institute, who was not aware of the Atlas student competition until Wednesday. "There are
genuine concerns with asking the FCC to do it. But groups that are obsessing themselves with the politics of it are
diluting their own stories."

The phrase "Net Brutality" may have been first used three years ago when FreedomWorks chairman Dick Armey, now a
prominent figure in the tea party movement, assailed a Maryland proposal that he said would not allow Internet service
companies to charge different prices for different amounts of bandwidth.

But it wasn't a good enough slogan to win Atlas' student competition in Florida. "I still think in my mind, no
disrespect to our competitors, that we had the best project," said MacLean, the Canadian team member.

Declan McCullagh has covered the intersection of politics and technology for over a decade. E-mail Declan.
Topics:
Regulation

Tags:
Center for American Progress,

Net neutrality,

FCC

Share:DiggDel.icio.usRedditYahoo! BuzzFacebookTwitter
Recent posts from Politics and Law
'Secret' telecom anti-Net neutrality plan isn't
Piracy costs software industry $51 billion in '09
FCC invites comment on cell phone 'bill shock'
Hearing on Gizmodo iPhone warrant scheduled
Arizona to remove its highway speed cameras
Comcast: FCC opening Net neutrality door 'scary'
Google attorney slams ACTA copyright treaty
Judge nixes media request for iPhone warrant
Related
Google takes diplomatic route on Net neutrality
FCC plans Net neutrality regulations for broadband
Week in review: FCC not done with Net neutrality
FCC details plan to reassert authority over Internet
Reality check on 'reclassifying' broadband
Comcast: FCC opening Net neutrality door 'scary'
Kroes: Internet 'not inherently neutral'
FCC statement: 'Third way' legal framework
by bj1126 May 12, 2010 10:08 AM PDT
Lesson here is to never take Center for American Progress seriously.

I'm for very limited net neutrality rules but the FCC power grab scares the poop out of me.
Like thisReply to this comment
by sharmajunior May 12, 2010 10:11 AM PDT
"Many conservatives and libertarians oppose the idea, arguing that the Internet has flourished precisely because it has
been unregulated. "

Then why are ISP's regulating it? Why are you secretly regulating it?
Like thisReply to this comment
Add a comment
You are logged in as davefarber. Please leave a comment.

Comment SUBMIT
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Click here to review our Terms of Use.

@Controls

Login required, click here to begin
Share
This Page

Add images
Follow

Echo 5 Items
Admin

  –

 qoolo
'Secret' telecom anti-Net neutrality plan isn't - CNET
Today, 1:14:51 PM EDT
– Flag
via Twitter

 hollieb
'Secret' telecom anti-Net neutrality plan isn't: The campaign actually ended up costing the students money, since ...
http://bit.ly/dfMhxw
Today, 1:14:14 PM EDT
– Flag
via Twitter

 Steve Wildstrom
Cnet's Declan McCullagh blows up "Net Brutality" campaign, makes Center for American Progress look silly.
Today, 12:49:30 PM EDT
– Flag
via Twitter

 Declan McCullagh
So much for #NetPolicy conspiracy theorists: 'Secret' telecom anti-Net neutrality plan isn't @CNET
Today, 12:40:33 PM EDT
– Flag
via Twitter

 Evan Hansen
funny! RT @declanm: So much for #NetPolicy conspiracy theorists: 'Secret' telecom anti-Net neutrality plan isn't @CNET
Today, 12:57:52 PM EDT
– Flag
via Twitter
Social Networking by

Most Popular
        • Report: Apple developing a Flash alternative
        • Report: Google Android surpasses iPhone in U.S.
        • Five hidden dangers of Facebook (Q&A)
        • Obama: iPod, iPad don't empower
        • Twitter confirms awkward 'auto-follow' bug
CNET River
Details of new Senate climate bill emerge
loricnet: EOSHD says higher-end Sony NEX-7 in Sept. I believe. NEX-5 innards deserve more powerful outer.
http://bit.ly/bYKjVz
Motorola VE440 (photos)
Hollywood backs Viacom in Google fight
brian_tong: Blasting your boombox on the bus is still cool in SF. It's even better when the lady next to him was using
her laptop and phone 4 work.
Archaeologists: Mayans were green builders
antgoo: Proof that Wednesdays are the best days: Doughnuts for breakfast! Thanks @WeirdEaredJas! #OmNomNom
danackerman: Hey-o! Alabama Gov. candidate attacked for belief in evolution (but he denies the scurrilous charge!) -
http://bit.ly/cpjvqe
acedtect: Three days before I leave this job I finally figured out how to properly adjust my chair.
'Secret' telecom anti-Net neutrality plan isn't
Rafe: Next Reporters' Roundtable will be The Patent Mess, w/ @mollywood & @reckless (Nilay Patel). 1pm PT Fri 5/14 at
http://bit.ly/a9c853
JBL On Time Micro
Fujifilm's solid 10x zoom compacts priced to move
Piracy costs software industry $51 billion in '09
What cloud computing can learn from 'flash crash'
raygun01: Kid fact #11: If u have somewhere to be, she will win, by peeing and pooping all over her clothes right as u
open the front door.
inafried: Microsoft says issues with Office 2010 virtual launch were a hardware capacity issue due to high demand, not
a SharePoint issue.
stshank: .@fotolia ribbon for adding microstock photo & video through Msft Office is live. Spruce up those PowerPoints,
people. http://bit.ly/coHESO
Rogue satellite could kill cable programming
Valve brings Steam game download service to Apple's OS X
mlamonica: Small wind turbines only make sense where there's good wind. Can people get good wind data?
http://bit.ly/bhYtlW
maggie_reardon: Forrester Research report: companies can get productivity gains of more than 2 work weeks per person
per year with Office 2010.
maggie_reardon: MS exec claims that 8.6 million people are using 2010 set of products in beta. This is more than 3x the
# that engaged in 07 beta program.
Good data needed for small-wind turbines to spin
Panasonic Toughbook 31 (photos)
See full River page

A crusader for critical infrastructure security
 Q&A As the electrical infrastructure and other critical industries move toward the smart grid and Internet tech,
control system expert Joe Weiss is the voice of caution.
FCC touts 'third way' for Net oversight
 The federal commission details a plan to put itself on more solid legal footing for regulating broadband services.
• FCC on legal framework

About Politics and Law
News at the intersection of technology, politics, and law, ranging from intellectual property to censorship to tech
policy.
Subscribe via RSS
Click this link to view as XML.
Add this feed to your online news reader
        • Google
        • Yahoo
        • MSN

Politics and Law topics
        • Antitrust
        • Censorship
        • Corruption
        • Elections
        • Lessons in economics
        • Privacy
        • Regulation
        • Stupidity
        • Taxes
        • intellectual property

Inside CNET News
Scroll LeftScroll Right
        • Digital Media
Piracy costs software industry $51 billion in '09
Rate of software piracy hits 43 percent last year, costing industry billions in profits, says study from IDC and
Business Software Alliance.
        • Gallery
Small-wind turbines pick up steam (photos)
Apple
Another possible iPhone 4G prototype surfaces
A Vietnamese businessman reportedly purchased an iPhone 4G while on a trip to the U.S.
        • Beyond Binary
Microsoft aims to sell business on Office 2010 (Q&A)
As Microsoft prepares for the corporate launch of the new Office, the head of its business division talks about moving
beyond the desktop.
        • Video
Amazon gets browsing behavior from Google
Media Maverick
Hollywood backs Viacom in Google fight
Some of YouTube's own content partners have jumped into the fray on the side of Viacom.
        • Video
Bill Gates' college road trip
Politics and Law
'Secret' telecom anti-Net neutrality plan isn't
The Center for American Progress claims to have found a "secret plan" by broadband providers to thwart Net neutrality,
but it turns out to be created by student entrants for a "think tank MBA" competition in Florida last month.
        • The Digital Home
Rogue satellite could kill cable programming
Satellite that lost contact with its control center could enter the orbit of another satellite that delivers cable
programming to U.S., AP reports.
        • Gallery
A handmade Hobbit hole (photos)
Crave
Fujifilm's solid 10x zoom compacts priced to move
If you've been itching for some extra zoom in a point-and-shoot but don't want a big camera or to spend a lot of money,
these two Fujifilm FinePix models are worth considering.
        • Green Tech
Archaeologists: Mayans were green builders
Team excavating vast ancient city in Belize uses NASA LiDAR technology and reveals a society of rooftop urban
agriculture.
News
News site map
Latest headlines
Contact News
News staff
Corrections
CNET blogs
Popular topics
Apple iPhone
Apple iPod
Cell phones
CES 2010
GPS
LCD TV

CNET sites
CNET Site map
CNET TV
Downloads
News
Reviews
Shopper.com

More information
Newsletters
CNET Mobile
Customer Help Center
RSS
CNET API
About CNET

        • Popular on CBS sites:
        • Fantasy Baseball
        • iPad
        • Video Game Reviews
        • Cell Phones
        • NFL Draft
        • © 2010 CBS Interactive. All rights reserved.
        • Privacy Policy (UPDATED)
        • Terms of Use
        • Mobile User Agreement
        • Visit other CBS Interactive sites: