Interesting People mailing list archives

Google, EFF, CDT back Yahoo in privacy fight with Justice Department

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 21:14:52 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: April 14, 2010 3:33:28 AM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Google, EFF, CDT back Yahoo in privacy fight with Justice Department

Dave,

IPers might enjoy my article about a legal dispute over the privacy of e-mail communications that has, I believe, not
been made public until now:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20002423-38.html

It's a case in Colorado where the Justice Department is seeking the contents of a Yahoo Mail account. Yahoo has been
fighting the request. Google, EFF, CDT, the Progress and Freedom Foundation, and some other like-minded groups have
filed an amicus brief saying that a search warrant is required to gain access to email.

The effort involves many of the same groups involved in the Digital Due Process Coalition:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20001393-38.html

-Declan