Interesting People mailing list archives

re web: Listless Wikimedia "In Chaos" Following Co-founder Jimmy Wales Resignation ...

From: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 21:00:36 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic () gmail com>
Date: May 16, 2010 8:12:38 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>, frode () hyperwords net
Subject: Re: [IP] : web: Listless Wikimedia "In Chaos" Following Co-founder Jimmy Wales Resignation ...

Hi, Dave.

The notion that the Wikimedia Foundation is enduring some kind of "chaos" and that the organization somehow has "no
one at the wheel" is simply nonsense. The Fox News campaign against Wikipedia has certainly led to some reactions, of
course, but our Board and executive director remain in charge, and in fact we spent more time last week rolling out
an interface redesign for Wikipedia than we did thinking about Fox News's attacks. Whether one takes Gizmodo's
gestures at journalism very seriously or not, surely it should give you pause to note that Gizmodo's conclusion is
based on an unnamed "source" who very likely has no connection at all to the Wikimedia Foundation nor any knowledge
of our day-to-day operations.

Furthermore, anyone who thinks that Jimmy's voluntary decision to limit his own editing powers means that no one is
in charge suggests a profound ignorance of how the Wikimedia Foundation operates.

In short, the Gizmodo piece seems aimed primarily at exceeding Fox News's sloppiness and inaccuracy regarding Fox's
original self-congratulatory anti-porn-on-the-Internet campaign. I'm sorry to see your mailing list used to give a
rotten story a semblance of legitimacy. Weren't we done with this kind of nonsense in the mid-1990s?

--Mike Godwin
General Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation