Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Good news from DC:

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 18:57:32 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: December 15, 2016 at 6:24:26 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Fwd: Good news from DC:

At 01:05 PM 12/15/2016, Paul Alan Levy wrote:

From my perspective, darkness will soon descend on Washington, and I fear how long it might be.  But there was a
piece of good news today:  the bill forbidding non-disparagement clauses in form consumer contracts became law
yesterday.

As of March 14, 2017, any form contract with a clause purporting to bar consumers from offering their honest views
about a company will become void ab initio.

Alas, the law as passed is unbalanced. It does nothing to shield businesses from dishonest reviews posted by spiteful
parties (e.g. a non-paying customer or a tenant who was evicted) or competitors seeking to defame and discredit them.
Hopefully, future revisions will make it easier to remove reviews planted by such parties.

--Brett Glass