Interesting People mailing list archives

Forget the FBI cache; the Podesta emails show how America is run

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 23:08:32 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Hendricks Dewayne <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: November 1, 2016 at 8:37:43 AM EDT
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Forget the FBI cache; the Podesta emails show how America is run

Forget the FBI cache; the Podesta emails show how America is run
WikiLeaks’ dump of messages to and from Clinton’s campaign chief offer an unprecedented view into the workings of the
elite, and how it looks after itself
By Thomas Frank
Oct 31 2016
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/31/the-podesta-emails-show-who-runs-america-and-how-they-do-it>

The emails currently are part of some unknown digital collection amassed by the troublesome Anthony Weiner, but if
your purpose is to understand the clique of people who dominate Washington today, the emails that really matter are
the ones being from the hacked account of Hillary Clinton’s campaign chair John Podesta. They are last week’s scandal
in a year running over with scandals, but in truth their significance goes far beyond mere scandal: they are a window
into the soul of the Democratic party and into the dreams and thoughts of the class to whom the party answers.

The class to which I refer is not rising in angry protest; they are by and large pretty satisfied, pretty contented.
Nobody takes road trips to exotic West Virginia to see what the members of this class looks like or how they live; on
the contrary, they are the ones for whom such stories are written. This bunch doesn’t have to make do with a
comb-over TV mountebank for a leader; for this class, the choices are always pretty good, and this year they happen
to be excellent.

They are the comfortable and well-educated mainstay of our modern Democratic party. They are also the grandees of our
national media; the architects of our software; the designers of our streets; the high officials of our banking
system; the authors of just about every plan to fix social security or fine-tune the Middle East with precision
droning. They are, they think, not a class at all but rather the enlightened ones, the people who must be answered to
but who need never explain themselves.

Let us turn the magnifying glass on them for a change, by sorting through the hacked personal emails of John Podesta,
who has been a Washington power broker for decades. I admit that I feel uncomfortable digging through this hoard;
stealing someone’s email is a crime, after all, and it is outrageous that people’s personal information has been
exposed, since WikiLeaks doesn’t seem to have redacted the emails in any way. There is also the issue of authenticity
to contend with: we don’t know absolutely and for sure that these emails were not tampered with by whoever stole them
from John Podesta. The supposed authors of the messages are refusing to confirm or deny their authenticity, and
though they seem to be real, there is a small possibility they aren’t.

With all that taken into consideration, I think the WikiLeaks releases furnish us with an opportunity to observe the
upper reaches of the American status hierarchy in all its righteousness and majesty.

The dramatis personae of the liberal class are all present in this amazing body of work: financial innovators.
High-achieving colleagues attempting to get jobs for their high-achieving children. Foundation executives doing fine
and noble things. Prizes, of course, and high academic achievement.

Certain industries loom large and virtuous here. Hillary’s ingratiating speeches to Wall Street are well known of
course, but what is remarkable is that, in the party of Jackson and Bryan and Roosevelt, smiling financiers now seem
to stand on every corner, constantly proffering advice about this and that. In one now-famous email chain, for
example, the reader can watch current US trade representative Michael Froman, writing from a Citibank email address
in 2008, appear to name President Obama’s cabinet even before the great hope-and-change election was decided
(incidentally, an important clue to understanding why that greatest of zombie banks was never put out of its misery).

The far-sighted innovators of Silicon Valley are also here in force, interacting all the time with the leaders of the
party of the people. We watch as Podesta appears to email Sheryl Sandberg. He makes plans to visit Mark Zuckerberg
(who, according to one missive, wants to “learn more about next steps for his philanthropy and social action”).
Podesta exchanges emails with an entrepreneur about an ugly race now unfolding for Silicon Valley’s seat in Congress;
this man, in turn, appears to forward to Podesta the remarks of yet another Silicon Valley grandee, who complains
that one of the Democratic combatants in that fight was criticizing billionaires who give to Democrats. Specifically,
the miscreant Dem in question was said to be:

“… spinning (and attacking) donors who have supported Democrats. John Arnold and Marc Leder have both given to Cory
Booker, Joe Kennedy, and others. He is also attacking every billionaire that donates to [Congressional candidate] Ro
[Khanna], many whom support other Democrats as well.”

[snip]

Dewayne-Net RSS Feed: <http://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/feed/>