Interesting People mailing list archives

"H-Bombs: The Need to Not Have Them"

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 14:37:10 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Stephen H. Unger" <shu2 () columbia edu>
Date: August 29, 2017 at 11:07:36 AM EDT
To: ip <dave () farber net>
Subject: For ip: "H-Bombs: The Need to Not Have Them"

Dave,

Here is an item for ip.

Steve
H-Bombs: The Need to Not Have Them

The existence of many thousands of thermonuclear weapons constitutes an ongoing threat to humanity as a whole. It is
essential that the UN treaty outlawing them (signed by 122 of the 193 UN member nations) be endorsed by the 9 nations
with these weapons, and that the means for disposing of them, including verification of such disposal, be perfected
and extended. A good start was made by the US and Russia, which, between 1993 and 2013, successfully converted a
large amount of H-bomb grade materials to nuclear reactor fuel. We need to continue this process, and, hard as it
might be, to extend it to include the other 7 nations. The goal should be the total elimination of these terrible
devices.

My effort to explain the situation can be found at

http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~unger/articles/h-bombs.html

Steve Unger