Interesting People mailing list archives

Message from ISOC CEO

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 18:17:07 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Bob Hinden <bob.hinden () gmail com>
Date: Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 12:23 PM
Subject: Fwd: ISOC - CL : Message from ISOC CEO
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
CC: Bob Hinden <bob.hinden () gmail com>

FYI

Begin forwarded message:

*From: *"Kathy Brown via Internet Society" <Mail () ConnectedCommunity org>
*Subject: **ISOC - CL : Message from ISOC CEO*
*Date: *November 29, 2017 at 8:52:07 AM PST
*To: *bob.hinden () gmail com

== Please, reply above this line ==

Dear Chapter Leaders,

The Internet Society's 25th anniversary year has been a milestone year in
more ways than one. We have celebrated our solidarity and strength together
and with confidence in our Mission <https://www.internetsociety.org/mission/>.
We have demonstrated deep respect for our roots by hosting a highly
successful Internet Hall of Fame <
https://www.internethalloffame.org/inductees>, whilst welcoming the future
by honoring our 25 young innovators under 25 <
https://www.internetsociety.org/25th/25-under-25/awardees>. Our
InterCommunity <https://www.internetsociety.org/intercommunity/2017/videos>
event this year was truly impressive - circling the world in 24 hours by
connecting 56 different "nodes" in 112 countries on six continents.

Together, we have demonstrated how, as a global community, we can use the
Internet to strengthen the Internet.

At the recent Board meeting in Singapore there were some great examples of
the work that has taken place. We had an amazing report of the work in Asia
<
https://www.internetsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Asia-Pacific-Regional-Bureau-Presentation.pdf>,
a report from our Chapter in Singapore <
https://www.internetsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/ISOCSG-report-to-board.pdf>
and a report from Raul on the extraordinary work done by our Chapters <
https://www.internetsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/ISOC-Chapter-Highlights.pdf>.
Our OMAC meeting was lively and productive and ISOC's interaction with the
IETF was likewise productive and forward-leaning.

It seems clear to me that the Internet Society is at a crossroads: it is
strong; you are strong and focused on the future. At this juncture, it
feels natural and right for me to pass the CEO baton to the next generation
of ISOC leadership. So, it was with some emotion that I informed the Board
in Singapore that I would not seek another extension of my contract in 2018.

This community will be very hard for me to leave. Indeed, I can't ever
imagine not supporting the work of the Internet Society. All the work we
do, guided by our vision of an Internet for everyone, is of urgent
importance. I do look forward, though, to spending time in a quieter mode,
and dedicating some energy to family needs.

The Board was gracious and supportive of my decision and committed to
commencing a search expeditiously. The Board has assured me that it will be
as transparent as possible with respect to its plans, will communicate with
you directly on next steps and keep you informed throughout the process.
You should expect this to take some time but you have my commitment to
continue the work of the Internet Society and to do my utmost to prepare
for a smooth transition while the Board conducts its search.

As always, do not hesitate to reach out to me with any questions and
concerns. My door-and email-is always open to each of you.

Kathy Brown

------------------------------
Brown () isoc org
CEO

Note: replies will be sent to the full discussion group.
------------------------------

Reply to Sender :
https://connect.internetsociety.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=31&SenderKey=42066473-8771-469e-a58e-2cbe5bfcb3f6&MID=25975&MDATE=756%253c46647%253e&UserKey=4220e0f4-1b72-48af-ade7-d5019d7808dc&sKey=8e6bd45438be4e4682ee

Reply to Discussion :
https://connect.internetsociety.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=31&MID=25975&MDATE=756%253c46647%253e&UserKey=4220e0f4-1b72-48af-ade7-d5019d7808dc&sKey=8e6bd45438be4e4682ee

You are subscribed to "Chapter Leaders Community" as bob.hinden () gmail com.
To change your subscriptions, go to
http://connect.internetsociety.org/preferences?section=Subscriptions&MDATE=756%253c46647%253e&UserKey=4220e0f4-1b72-48af-ade7-d5019d7808dc&sKey=8e6bd45438be4e4682ee.
To unsubscribe from this community discussion, go to
http://connect.internetsociety.org/HigherLogic/eGroups/Unsubscribe.aspx?UserKey=4220e0f4-1b72-48af-ade7-d5019d7808dc&sKey=8e6bd45438be4e4682ee&GroupKey=679aae94-6767-4b89-af2f-4f6122e16416
.