Interesting People mailing list archives

Simitians mission to middle America

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 22:40:55 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Chuck McManis <chuck.mcmanis () gmail com>
Date: December 12, 2017 at 7:05:47 PM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Simitians mission to middle America

Dave - for the IP list.

The following article appeared in the Sept 6th issue of the Mercury
News, it recounts the quest of Joe Smitian (currently a Santa Clara
county supervisor) to understand the vote for Trump. I embarked on a
similar mission mostly with my extended family which covers the
spectrum across the country. Much of what Joe found I can corroborate.
But this is the key message:

People really, deeply hated Hillary Clinton. Their economic problems were decades
in the making. And Democrats could learn a few things by listening carefully.

Simitian explains that the switch from Barack Obama to Donald Trump wasn’t as
outlandish as it seems from here. In 2008, the voters in the three counties thought
Obama was the change they craved. He wasn’t. With Trump, they were doubling down.

I have observed similarities between suicide bombers and voters for
Trump, where both groups have testified that their actions were the
only way left to them with which to effect change. While they realized
they were going to harm many innocent people, those same people were
somewhat complicit in allowing the oppression to continue.

As of this writing I don't know if Moore has won the election in
Alabama or not, but I hear two different narratives, one which is
appealing to voters (the system is broken elect me to fix it) and one
which is not (we need to elect leaders who share our morality and
values).

We need empathy, we need to internalize why someone who is rational,
feels that detonating a suicide vest in the middle of a crowded market
is the only way left for them to get the attention of the government.
We need to understand why it is important to get a "win for the
Republicans" at the expense of a "win for the people they represent."
We need to elect leaders who will penalize big money interests when
they do wrong, and we need to expose people who pander to those
interests at the expense of their constituents. I believe that only
then will we get the voters of middle America to vote for competent
leaders over buffoons.

From the Mercury News:

After Donald Trump was elected president, Santa Clara County
Supervisor Joe Simitian, a long-time Democrat, embarked on a mission
to Middle America to find out why. He wondered why the rest of the
country saw things so differently than his own constituents.

The 64-year-old supervisor spent a week in each of three counties that
had voted for Barack Obama but flipped in 2016 for Donald Trump:
Robeson County, N.C.; Cambria County, PA., and Macomb County,
Michigan.

Simitian munched on fried chicken at Candy Sue’s in Lumberton, N.C. He
ate a hot dog at Coney Island Lunch in Johnstown, PA., with an
80-year-old retiree who voted for Trump. He even visited a traveling
circus and a biker bar.

The nub of what the supervisor found is worth repeating in our bubble
within a bubble. People really, deeply hated Hillary Clinton. Their
economic problems were decades in the making. And Democrats could
learn a few things by listening carefully.

Simitian explains that the switch from Barack Obama to Donald Trump
wasn’t as outlandish as it seems from here. In 2008, the voters in the
three counties thought Obama was the change they craved. He wasn’t.
With Trump, they were doubling down.

“It’s a mistake to think that this is a moment in time,’’ says
Simitian, whose hometown, Palo Alto gave Trump only 12 percent of its
votes. “We’ve been building to this point for decades.’’

Working around his board schedule and traveling with an office-holder
account — not taxpayer money — the Santa Clara County supervisor
checked in with his office at 3 p.m. daily and stayed in touch by
phone and email.

He talked to people from all stratas — cops, teachers, librarians,
labor leaders, elected officials, journalists, even a college
cross-country team. By and large, he found people remarkably eager to
explain their viewpoint.

But he did have one telling exchange on the phone with a Republican
leader in Pennsylvania who resisted talking to a Democratic
officeholder from Silicon Valley. Simitian asked her why.

“Silicon Valley didn’t give a (expletive) about western Pennsylvania
for the past 50 years,’’ the woman told him. “I have no reason to
believe that anyone cares today.’’

Simitian will be talking about his mission at the Mountain View Senior
Center on Sept. 9 at 2 p.m., and at the Palo Alto City Council
chambers on Sept. 16 at 1 p.m..

The three places he visited offered different portraits in economic
decline. Robeson County, where Democrats outnumber Republicans 5 to 1,
is a poor place that has been deserted by tobacco and textiles.

Cambria County in western Pennsylvania is a hardscrabble locale that
has seen plants closed. Even in more affluent Macomb County, north of
Detroit, people have a sense of losing ground.

Simitian says Democrats in Silicon Valley underestimate just how much
people loathed Hillary Clinton, who became the symbol of an
establishment they felt betrayed them.

He says he constantly heard the mantra, “emails, Benghazi, and
foundation.’’ “It was palpable,’’ he said. “They didn’t like her. They
didn’t trust her.’’

In a gas line in Michigan, Simitian asked a man whom he had voted for.
The man said he had voted libertarian. Simitian asked why. “I think
Hillary Clinton is the Antichrist and I fear Donald Trump,’’ he
remembers the man saying.

That distrust was compounded by mistakes in the Clinton campaign: In
Johnstown, PA., Clinton showed up at wire-producing  factory for an
invitation-only event.

That prompted local wags to point out that Hillary was appearing —
literally — behind barbed wire, one of the factory’s products. Trump,
meanwhile, invited everyone to his event at the War Memorial arena.

Did people believe everything that Trump was selling? Simitian says
no. But the Republican was at least talking about their economic woes,
while the Democrats seemed distant.

“False hope,’’ he quoted one one business leader in Johnstown as
saying, “is better than no hope at all.’’

<http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/09/06/a-supervisors-search-to-fathom-trumps-appeal/>