Interesting People mailing list archives

Fwd: very interesting article from former PLA major general on cyber sovereignty

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 20:06:35 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: DV Henkel-Wallace <gumby () henkel-wallace org>
Date: Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 2:42 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] very interesting article from former PLA major general on
cyber sovereignty
To: Herb Lin <herblin () stanford edu>
CC: David Farber <dave () farber net>

Without ignoring the fact that this statement is presumably intended to be
self-serving, I find this portion particularly apposite:  "...avoiding
misunderstandings based on perceptions of binary opposition."

You don't have to be a kumbya-humming hippie to understand that
relationships are not zero sum, and that a zero sum posture usually fails
to get the desired result.

Ironically it's lately been the warriors who have understood this while the
political discourse has tended away from it.  That's why the US invites its
"enemies" to tour its military facilities, and why countries sign up to
inspection regimes for their nuclear arsenals: "if you understand how we do
things and think of things then we're less likely to be in an argument. And
[in the US case] though we'll probably 'win' we don't think we'd like the
cost."

Compare that to Louis XIII who hosted his enemies at Versailles solely as a
tool of intimidation.

Silicon Valley, likewise, has benefitted from a less zero-sum mentality.
The lack of noncompetes, and the fluidity of people passing from company to
company has ben a strength, not a weakness.

-d