Interesting People mailing list archives

Re The Swamp and The Fire Urgent Warning to the West

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 16:12:44 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Tom Goltz <tgoltz () quietsoftware com>
Date: Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 10:30 AM
Subject: Re: [IP] The Swamp and The Fire Urgent Warning to the West
To: <dave () farber net>

The quoted article "The Swamp and the Fire" is an irrational rant, but is
also an interesting piece of propaganda.  It uses oblique references to
American Exceptionalism to imply that Americans are somehow superior to
Europeans or Russians, while insinuating that America's problems are
somehow caused by undue influences by those inferior foreigners.

The screed is also a blatant attempt to redirect the focus of "draining the
swamp" from eliminating corruption to attacking opinions and members of
society that the author dislikes.

Buried in all the words is the claim "We need to end all of this and return
to the real productive sector and mercantilist approach."

Given the author's willingness to redefine terms, I find myself wondering
what he actually means by "Mercantilist".  Does the author believe that the
situation will somehow be improved by greater government control over the
economy?  Yet, in the preceding sentence, he denigrates the "Federal
Reserve System".

I think what I find most frightening is that people appear to believe this
crap!