Interesting People mailing list archives

Predatory Journals Hit By 'Star Wars' Sting

From: "DAVID FARBER" <dfarber () me com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2017 20:58:23 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: July 23, 2017 at 2:19:45 PM EDT
To: nnsquad () nnsquad org
Subject: [ NNSquad ] Predatory Journals Hit By 'Star Wars' Sting

Predatory Journals Hit By 'Star Wars' Sting

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/neuroskeptic/2017/07/22/predatory-journals-star-wars-sting/#.WXToS3UrKkB

     "A number of so-called scientific journals have accepted a
   Star Wars-themed spoof paper. The manuscript is an absurd mess
   of factual errors, plagiarism and movie quotes. I know because
   I wrote it.  Inspired by previous publishing "stings", I
   wanted to test whether 'predatory' journals would publish an
   obviously absurd paper. So I created a spoof manuscript about
   "midi-chlorians" - the fictional entities which live inside
   cells and give Jedi their powers in Star Wars. I filled it
   with other references to the galaxy far, far away, and
   submitted it to nine journals under the names of Dr Lucas
   McGeorge and Dr Annette Kin."

- - -

--Lauren--