Interesting People mailing list archives

Re In 1995, this astronomer predicted the Internet's greatest failure

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 00:47:12 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Andy Oram <andyo () oreilly com>
Date: Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 8:10 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] In 1995, this astronomer predicted the Internet's
greatest failure
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

If people are looking for earlier predictions about the course of our lives
under networking, they might be interested in this frequently circulated
story that I wrote back in 1999:

http://praxagora.com/andyo/wr/ghost.html
The Ghosts of Internet Time

It did not prefigure the fake news of today, and I don't claim to be the
networking expert Stoll was, but a lot of the piece still seems to
resonate. Volunteers routinely translate it for me--there are about 10
translations so far.

Andy

Andy Oram  |  Editor
O'Reilly Media, Inc.  |  617-499-7479 |  oreilly.com

[image: oreilly_email_logo.png] <http://oreilly.com/>