Interesting People mailing list archives

There goes the Real America

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 19:05:14 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] There goes the Real America
Date: July 3, 2017 at 6:42:37 PM EDT
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>

[Note:  This item comes from friend David Rosenthal.  DLH]

There goes the Real America
By Digby
Jul 3 2017
<http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2017/07/there-goes-real-america.html
<http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2017/07/there-goes-real-america.html>>

Oh look, someone who got it right but nobody cares:

<http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/uw-professor-got-it-right-on-trump-so-why-is-he-being-ignored/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=article_left_1.1>
Ask Google the question “who predicted Trump winning the election?” and you get 19.3 million results.

Most are about professors with oddball prediction systems, or the rare pollster who got it right, or the liberal
filmmaker Michael Moore, who famously sent out a mass gut-level warning about Donald Trump’s appeal last summer.

One name that doesn’t come up: Christopher Parker.

“Nobody in the media has called me up and said ‘you were right,’ ” says Parker, a political-science professor at the
University of Washington for the past 11 years.

Parker has his suspicions about why he’s been overlooked, which we’ll get to in a minute. But first: He correctly
foresaw in September 2015 that Trump would win the GOP nomination — eight months before Trump clinched it.

Then, last September, Parker told anyone who would listen, which was not many, that Trump could well win the
presidency. And now, most important, new research shows Parker was more than just prescient about the outcome. He was
nearly alone in nailing why it would happen.

“It’s what the data showed and what history would suggest, so I didn’t see it as some out-there guess,” Parker shrugs
now. “It seemed like a no-brainer to me.”

On Monday researchers released the most comprehensive survey data yet aimed at understanding what actually went down
in Election 2016. The group includes academics but also right-leaning outlets such The Heritage Foundation and
left-leaners like the Center for American Progress.

What’s different about the Voter Study Group is that it tracks the attitudes and votes of the same 8,000 adults since
before the 2012 election, and then throughout the 2016 election. So it’s like the nation’s largest, longest political
focus group.

The story we’ve told ourselves — that working-class whites flocked to Trump due to job worries or free trade or
economic populism — is basically wrong, the research papers released this week suggest.

They did flock to Trump. But the reason they did so in enough numbers for Trump to win wasn’t anxiety about the
economy. It was anxiety about Mexicans, Muslims and blacks.
[snip]