Interesting People mailing list archives

Re First Object NOT Teleported from Earth to Orbit

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 06:38:50 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rodney Van Meter <rdv () sfc wide ad jp>
Date: July 20, 2017 at 6:05:39 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>, Dave Farber <farber () gmail com>
Cc: Rodney Van Meter <rdv () sfc wide ad jp>, ip <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re First Object NOT Teleported from Earth to Orbit

(Dave, I sent this a day or two ago, but if you forwarded it on I missed it. More importantly, I’ve now updated to
include the recently-announced Japanese satellite experiment I had missed!)

Gilmore is right.

To extend a little bit, what is “teleported” in quantum teleportation, is a quantum *state* that can’t be analyzed
without destroying it. Essentially, you’re moving quantum data from one place to another without learning anything
about the data itself; in quantum mechanics, when you measure a state, you destroy any superposition and any quantum
entanglement it has, which destroys its usefulness as quantum data.

This article is pretty good:
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-40594387

Teleportation is useful not only for moving qubits over long distances, but also for changing physical data
representations from e.g. the spin of an electron to the spin of a nucleus — roughly, moving a qubit from RAM to
disk, if you like.

The experiment is an impressive accomplishment. Jian-Wei Pan’s group is the best in the world at long-distance
single-photon work, bar none. He did his Ph.D. with Anton Zeilinger, in Vienna. After returning to China, he has
built an incredible group, with tremendous support from the Chinese government. We all knew his team had put up a
satellite, but personally I didn’t expect the data (and data rate) to be as good as it is — it’s a hard problem,
capturing single photons sent down from orbit! And yet they’ve done it, beating out teams from Canada, Singapore,
Japan and Europe that were already doing preliminary experiments, including in space.  See e.g.
https://www.wired.com/2017/02/physicists-test-quantum-cryptography-playing-catch-photons-plane/

Sasaki-san's group from NICT, here in Japan, at almost the same time announced publication of results from a 2016
experiment, QKD from a satellite:
http://www.nict.go.jp/en/press/2017/07/11-1.html
http://www.nature.com/nphoton/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nphoton.2017.107.html?foxtrotcallback=true
They are *not* sending entangled photon pairs to two ground satellites, or creating space-to-ground entanglement. In
fact, they’re not using single-photon pulses at all.  They are sending pulses with 2.3*10^8 photons/pulse from the
satellite, and receiving an average of 0.1 photons on the ground, after a 78dB loss budget. This is also an
extraordinary accomplishment, even if it’s a bit eclipsed by the successive Chinese announcements. If you consider a
satellite to be a trusted node, and you connect via QKD to two separate ground stations, you can create ground
station-to-ground station shared secret keys securely.

Several years ago, Simon Devitt and his collaborators, including yours truly, proposed an alternative to creating
entanglement via satellite: shipping error correction-protected qubits via container ship. At the time, I contended
that satellite was too hard to pull off across the Pacific, and the first trans-pac entanglement demonstration would
be using our technique. Now, I’m not so sure.
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/4x34e3/how-cargo-ships-full-of-diamond-hard-drives-could-connect-a-quantum-sneakernet
https://www.nature.com/articles/srep36163

Also, since I’m here, an announcement:

This October, we are doing a free MOOC on quantum computing. I’ll send details in a separate email.
https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/intro-to-quantum-computing/